Monday, April 18, 2011

Fully caught up and life is flying by


There was a teacher retreat today with all the English teachers. We went to a "farm" then dinner. The farm turned out to be more of a large field area with different activities that you could partake in. We shot some arrows at the archery range, went grass sledding, tried out the bumper cars, looked at the dirty water of the fish catching area, got thrown around by a bungee cord catastrophe, and went grass skiing! I was actually the best one at grass skiing since it is sort of a mix between roller blading and snow skiing but it wasn't as fun as either because you couldn't really go fast and the skis were awkward, but it was worth a try. Afterward we went to dinner at a nearby place that is famous for their corn and pigeons. We each got a whole pigeon to eat for our main course and of course ate it with plastic gloves on (the Chinese don't like to get their hands dirty with finger food). Since I was with them and eating pigeon...I decided to go all out, beyond the body I ate the neck and brain as well. Then we headed back for home. I was sad because Fuat was sick so he didn't feel up to coming but I got to hang out with some of the English teachers which was fun. But despite the fact that they're all fluent in English for most of dinner everyone spoke Chinese...oh well.


The year is winding down quickly and for those of us who are staying we're scrounging around for a school to pick for next year. Luckily my job is easy and I'll be staying at 2nd Senior High School. Greg and Andrew both want to change schools and are looking at senior schools in Xili with three main options - one of them being my school. Today Greg came by to check the place out. He got a chance to see the amazingness that is my school :) I forgot to take a picture while he was here so decided I'd show an update on our art building. It is moving along fast!


Bringing happiness to all with a scavenger hunt :) Jess and I are planning a Shenzhen wide scavenger hunt for CTLC. It will include Dongmen, clues about the metro stops and a wide variety of stuff they have to find/take pictures of. I am very excited.


This is Helen, one of the four 7 year old girls that I tutor on the weekends. She is by far my best student and it's her parents that set the whole thing up. But still...I don't know how parents do it. I spend two hours with these four girls and I am wiped out for the rest of the day. Teaching is just exhausting. And even for the girls after about an hour and a half they get really restless and start running around the room. The worst part of it all is the moms sit in with us and see the chaos that ensues.


Teppanyaki! This is a fun night outing in Shenzhen for us CTLCers. You pay 150 RMB (~$20) and as long as you have less than 10 people, it is a all you can eat/drink with no time limit! The family plus the G/Jens got together and went for it. Jess had never been so she wanted to before she left. We got sushi, wine, seafood, lamb chops, more sushi, steak, and so much more until we were all stuffed. We even closed the place out staying right until the end. Afterward we headed for the G/Jens and hung out there for the night. It was a successful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment