Thursday, March 31, 2011

So much diversity in one city


Andrew and I got to the basketball beer garden first tonight. Just in time to see this guy kill a live chicken. Once I figured out what he was about to do, I quickly turned away but you could still hear the chicken. I left shortly after to go fetch some people and Andrew informed me upon my return that they guy had proceeded to kill 3 chickens and that there was a huge bucket of blood over by his stall. Not what I necessarily prefer when sitting down to eat.


I have fully discovered the store Oley. You can get a bog of Goldfish for 10 kuai, a very close to American sandwich for another 1o and have the perfect meal! I now treat myself on my tutoring days and quite enjoy it.


The Universiade is coming to Shenzhen! Don't know what that is? It's ok, we didn't either. It is a university olympics that is held every two years in different parts of the world. And Shenzhen is the lucky city that gets to host this year. Even better, my school is the location of one of the training areas. Therefore, our entire gymnasium is being redone for the event.


When Mom was here she kept reading through her books in record speed so we kept going to Book City to get her more. It ended with her leaving me most of the collection she had acquired. So the week started with me having to scrounge around for reading material and ended with me having way too many books to read before the end of the year. I would definitely recommend Blankets to anyone who wants to read a graphic novel. And if you want to borrow any of these let me know :)


I saw this guy one night when Mom was visiting but didn't get a chance to figure out who he was. It is very unusual to see another white person in Xili (my town) it is even more crazy to see a white person who is running a food stall. I went up and tried to talk to him but he didn't speak English and didn't really get any of my questions in Chinese. So I'm still not sure who he is, where he came from or how he ended up with a food stall.


CTLC hosts trivia nights every once in awhile and we had a great team to try and win the game! Unfortunately...we did not succeed, but we had fun losing. I was happy that Jess, Marie and I got to join up with Fuat, Courtney and Eli. I don't hang out with Fuat much outside of school so it was a nice opportunity.


Greg, Andrew, Jess and I took a trip up to the hot springs in Bao'An today. We hadn't been before and were unaware that it cost quite a bit to get in to some pools that didn't look very nice. So instead we bought the 10 kuai entry pass to the surrounding area and walked around for awhile. It was basically a run down resort. There were a bunch of activities there that were all shut down and all the buildings looked like they needed remodeling. I wonder if in the summer it will come alive again. There was a really beautiful temple there that we walked around for awhile, and a Buddha face in the side of the nearby mountain.


They built this crane today for the construction of the art building. After every class there was a new part of it assembled. I had never seen one being built before so it was sort of cool. Hopefully I'll get to see the finished art building before I leave at the end of next year.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, NYPD has the best pizza in Shenzhen. This is a perfect meal if you're getting sick of Chinese food or missing home.


Minnie, my new plant. For those of you who know Fredrick, don't worry I have not forgotten him and miss him greatly, but I needed a new China plant friend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment