Thursday, September 2, 2010

September has actually begun


China money! There are two names for Chinese currency - Yuan and Kuai. It seems Yuan is used more often in writing and Kuai is used in speaking. When using either one there are specific terms for 10 cents and 1 cent that correspond. On most Chinese bills the face of Chairman Mao appears. On the backs are different sites around China. They also have bills for 50 cents and 10 cents. The one in the bottom middle is a 10 cent bill.


Kite flying is a very popular activity in China. This was a stand at our local park. The kite to the right of the Cars one (the one with the cartoon wolves) is of Xie Yang Yang, the most popular cartoon in China. I'm slightly obsessed with it even though I can't understand a word of the TV show.


This is the view of my school out of my bedroom window. The school is completely outdoor hallways. It is so hot here it's not a problem.


This is the Shenzhen Concert Hall directly across from the Shenzhen Library which is a duplicate building.


This is the Chinese version of the dollar store!! We were laughing a couple weeks ago about what if China had a dollar store and how much it would be - we got our answer, 2 Yuan! It's about 6.5 Yuan per dollar so a 2 Yuan store is pretty awesome. Also, a week ago I was on a desperate search for nail polish remover. I asked one of the returners where I could find it and she said the only place was Sophora in the mall. I went and it was really expensive but I decided I needed it and if it was the only place I could find it then I wasn't going to get out of spending the money. Well yea...the 2 Yuan store definitely has little containers of it. I bought some and it seems to work. So much for paying 70 Yuan for a bottle.


The Shenzhen Public Library has an exhibit open to celebrate the 30 year anniversary of Shenzhen. There are rows upon rows of pictures that show the before and after of the Shenzhen construction. The bottom picture here was taken in 1985 and the top picture was 2009. Literally an entire high rise society was built in 30 years here. One building was built so fast that each floor was completed in three days.


This was on beach day #2. We went to the private beach this time which included a large rock outcrop where we had to climb over a scary foot bridge to get to the top. The Chinese were climbing over it with ease and laughing at Jessica and me as we took ten minutes to cross and got in everyone's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment